Saturday 5 January 2019

Summer Learning Journey, Week 3, Day 2, Activities 1,2,3

For the first activity we had to fill in the blanks of these sentences about bumblebees with phrases and numbers given to us on the summer learning journey website.
The word ‘bumblebee’ is a compound word (bumble + bee). The word ‘bumble’ means to __________________________.

Bumblebees can fly very quickly. They can reach ground speeds of _______ kilometres per hour (km/h).

Bumblebees are very strong! They carry up to ____ percent of their body weight in food with them to avoid starvation.

Bumblebees can do more work and carry more pollen than other bees, including honeybees. In fact, they can do up to   ______ times as much work as a normal honeybee.

The number of bumblebees is declining in New Zealand due to a number of factors, including the  _____________________.
The first sentence is The word ‘bumblebee’ is a compound word (bumble + bee). The word ‘bumble’ means to hum, buzz, or drone.
The second sentence is Bumblebees can fly very quickly. They can reach ground speeds of 54 kilometres per hour (km/h).
The third sentence is Bumblebees are very strong! They carry up to 50% percent of their body weight in food with them to avoid starvation.
The fourth sentence is Bumblebees can do more work and carry more pollen than other bees, including honeybees. In fact, they can do up to 90 times as much work as a normal honeybee.
The fifth sentence is The number of bumblebees is declining in New Zealand due to a number of factors, including the  removal of wildflowers and flowering trees, habitat loss, and extensive use of pesticides.
The second task was to create a sink that we can put all of the food we don't like into it. I actually like a lot of things when it comes to food so the very few things I would put into my sink anything Pickled except pickled onions (those are delicious).
The third activity was a maths problem. If a classroom is filled with seven moulds or fungi and it takes 5 days to get rid of one mould or fungus. I figured out that this was a multiplication question so I multiplied seven by five and got 35. So that is the number of days it takes to get rid of seven fungi from one classroom.

3 comments:

  1. Kia Ora Bethan,

    Amazing holiday blogging!

    I think maybe when you do your blogging you should try to spread your work out more just so it is more easy to read. I received a comment saying that I should add some picture in my work and I have been. It makes your work pop out more and I agree. (not in a mean way) I give the same advice to you. It's like one of those pass it on messages. Where one receives a message then pass's it on until you receive it back to yourself.

    I totally agree with you. I hate pickled things. Well, I've never tasted pickled onions so maybe I'll give it a go! I love to try new things, so who knows I might love them! I love how you worked out your math problem. quick and easy! It's (click) just like that!

    Keep up the AMAZING work
    Your friend
    Jahzara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora Bethan,

    Have another look at the NZ Bumblebee Conservation Trust website and check a couple of your facts :)

    I'm amazed that the only things you don't like are pickled foods (except onions!) You are such an unfussy eater, that's awesome! I'm kind of the same - I pretty much eat everything. The only thing I really hate is cream - funny hey?!

    That maths problem was pretty easy for you, I think! Did you just use your knowledge of basic multiplication facts?

    Nice work!

    From Ms Nalder

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Bethan,

    Great job on completing today's work. I enjoyed reading all of your tasks and I learned from some of them! I totally agree with you on the second activity. I also hate pickles Bethan so your not alone on that one sister! Good job on completing the third task. Your maths work was great and really simple to understand. Keep up the work Bethan!

    Cheers,
    Amelia

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.